Thursday, July 30, 2009

Randomn Thoughts Through the Heat

Okay, I'll admit. This is hot. I know, there are places on Earth that are hotter. Fine. But those places are hotter more often, so buildings and habits have been built with all that in mind. Our fair city, with it's temporate climate, is ill-prepared for extreme heat or extreme cold (both of which was proved this year).
It has, however, brought our little family closer together. Oh, not the touchy-cryee kind of closer together that you see on a Lifetime Movie of the week or anything. Nope, we're just closer together, period. Normally, when I get home from work, the kids are in the playroom, my wife is in the living room and I head to the kitchen to start dinner. Not so these last couple of days. We are all in the same room, the family room in the basement. It's a good 15 degrees cooler in there, but it's not a big room, and we've recently been using it for storage, so it's even smaller. And with all of us in there, and various electronics running, the temp rises a bit, so it's only 10 degrees cooler. But it's better then upstairs.
In preparation for this heat wave (sorry, HEAT WAVE), I ran some cable through the basement, then disconnected the cable from the splitter that runs to the playroom and connected it to the basement. So we have cable (on an itty-bitty TV) in there. And moved the card table in there, so we could have a place to eat when needed and the table can be folded while the kids played. Great plan. It means we have to all watch the same shows, but, hey, that's suppose to be good, right? (This was fine, because my favorite show, Wipeout, was on last night).
We're closer together at night as well. The main floor is way too hot to possibly sleep. The 2nd floor? Much worse. So we set up a tent in the back yard and camped out. Around 3 in the morning, the temp drops to around 70 and I can sleep a little more peacefully. Well, except when the dog saw the raccoon, but that's a different story. An 85 pound dog leaping on you while it follows an animal outside just doesn't encourage relaxation. So, what has all this family togetherness taught me? That I miss flipping through channels on the TV at night.

While lying outside at 2 in the morning, waiting for the blessed cooling around 3, without a TV to watch, or a book to read (the lights wake up the kids), I find myself wondering things. Here's one... My dad's generation took a shower once or twice a week. My generation takes a shower every day. Some of our nephews (old people in their 20s) take a shower twice a day. So, what happens with the next generation? Just how frequently can someone bathe? "Dang, it's been 2 hours since my shower. I must stink." Think of the effect on the environment, all that water to clean not-yet-dirty people.
Speaking of the environment, here's another thing I thought about. During the winter, where we had that massive snow fall that never went away. I joked, "Well, heck, where did the global-warming go? Sure could use some now." Well, hey, here it is. Guess I better not say something like, "Well, heck, where's that ice age that scientist talked about. Sure could use one now." Might happen. So I won't say it.

Okay, I'll leave on a public service message. A beat-the-heat drink. I know, some people say you shouldn't have caffeine because it dehydrates you. (This has been called into question in some of the hiking communities, but we'll leave that argument for another day). In reality, I like a certain amount of caffeine in a day. It is too hot, these afternoons and evenings, for a nice hot cup of Joe. So here's a recipe that cools me off to the core...
You will need sugar, soy milk and instant coffee. Oh, and a fridge with a freezer. Got those? (Feel free to substitute real milk, but I think milk doesn't get as cold as soy milk does). So, take a coffee cup ( a good stout one that can take freezing) and put in one rounded teaspoon of instant coffee. Pour boiling water to about a third of the cup. (Don't use a giant-sized cup-of-coffee-you-can-bathe-in kind of cup, just a normal old-fashioned coffee cup). Add 2 teaspoons of sugar (my wife takes one teaspoon, but she also likes unsweetened coffee. I suggest two). Stir. Put this in your freezer until the edges start to form ice crystals (but before it actually freezes). It takes about an hour and 15 minutes in my freezer. Then take out and fill the rest of the cup with soy milk. (Make sure you've pre-chilled your soy milk in the fridge, or this won't cool you off). Stir (yeah, like I had to tell you that part). Okay, now enjoy (yes, "enjoy" is part of the instructions). You now have a high-octane way to cool off that doesn't cost an arm and a leg at a fastfood place and requires no gas for the car.

Next year, maybe I'll look into air conditioning.