Saturday, July 10, 2010

Time Spent

There are times when I do something that doesn't yield results, or produce practical benefits. Sometimes, I want to vegetate and have fun. So, below is a list of my favorite entertainments. You will see the evolution of good sitcoms or favorite movies, not arranged by strict decade, but by rough time periods.

Want to disagree? Can't stand my choices? Want to add your own? Well, get your own blog.

Early 60s or so: The Dick Van Dyke Show
Late 60s, Early 70s or so: Gilligan's Island.
Late 70s: Happy Days. WKRP in Cincinnati.
Early 80s: Charles in Charge.
Late 80s, Early 90s: My Two Dads.
Late 90s: Boy Meets World. Everybody Loves Raymond.
Early 10s (or whatever we're calling that decade): Reba.
Current: Big Time Rush. Victorious. (Hey, like I said. If you disagree, get your own blog). And, as an honorable mention for a show that isn't a sitcom, but makes me laugh, Wipeout.

Of course, if I included British Sitcoms, there would be no competition, so I didn't include them. So, before going on, a special mention for: Good Neighbors. Are You Being Served. Keeping Up Appearances. Fawlty Towers. Waiting for God. Red Dwarf.

And the best movies, roughly in chronological order:

The Russians are Coming. Father Goose. Who's Minding the Mint. the Three Musketeers (and sequel). Charade. Planet of the Apes. Logan's Run. What's Up Doc. Star Wars (the original trilogy).

Raiders of the Lost Ark (and following films). Jurassic Park (yes, even part 2 and 3). Die Hard. Terminator (et al). The Name of the Rose. Aliens. Far Off Place. Crimson Tide. Much Ado About Nothing. Clue. The Gods Must Be Crazy (and sequel). Men in Black. The Fifth Element. The Mummy and the Mummy Returns (sorry, can't include the third one).

Galaxy Quest. While You Were Sleeping. Pride and Prejudice (A&E). Independence Day. Jumanji. Down Periscope. Hoodwinked. X-Men (and sequels, of course). Pirates of the Caribbean (um, okay, maybe the sequels. Maybe not). Transformers.

I know. There were others that were good. I can hear you from here. "Hey Man, What about Treasure Planet?" "Dude, What about Back to the Future?" Okay, fine. I agree, but I couldn't include every movie I ever liked. "What about epics movies, like The Lord of the Ring?" Sorry. I know someone will get mad at me, but I had to force myself to sit all the way through the first one, and couldn't force myself to sit through the others.

"Dude, man, Ishtar." Um. No. And you can go home.

Okay, like I said. This was a fun exercise. An evening of mindless entertainment. And probably tomorrow, my list would have been different. But don't worry. I'll try and make my next blog more earth shattering and heart wrenching.