Friday, June 20, 2008

Seemed like a good idea at the time

My wife and I bought bicycles. I've never owned a bicycle before. The one person who tried to teach me was so worried about me scratching his bike, that I had to stop. So I never learned.

Then, last month, my kids went on a bike hike and I couldn't go along. So I thought to myself it would be a great idea to buy a bike and learn to ride. My five-year-old even volunteered to teach me. How cool is that?!

So, we found a $90.00 bike on sale for $60.00. I know, I know. If I really want to take to this, I should buy a good bike for $200.00. But the problem is, my choice wasn't "should I buy a $60 bike or should I buy a $200 bike?" The real choice was "should I buy a $60 bike or not buy anything?"

Now, I've only owned it a few hours, so I haven't really tried anything yet, but, being excited, I figured I could just hop on and try a quick trip. I even bought a helmet. So...

What I have learned so far...
  • It is better to start your first bicycle ride on a paved road, not a bumpy backyard.
  • It is really, really hard to build momentum on grass.
  • It is really, really easy to fall off a bicycle, and travel a good distance.
  • After I fall and hit the ground, I bounce back up and hit the ground a second time. That one actually surprised me.
  • Helmet? Helmet, hell, I want body armour.

I need some kind of padding. You know what would really be useful? I wonder if my old football uniform would still fit?

Too bad I never played football.

Did I really only fall one time? Well, okay, if I bounce and hit the ground again, does it count as two? I am really going to ache tomorrow. My back hurts, my neck hurts, my legs hurt. My arms and shoulders are stiff and sore.

I can't wait to try again tomorrow!!