Sunday, June 1, 2008

Some Lawn Questions

I fixed the mower this week, so that meant I had to mow the lawn. And it made me ponder a few things…
  1. When I was a kid, we had a push mower. No power, no motor. You just pushed the mower, and that made the blades spin and that cut the grass. But now I have an electric mower and that brings me to my question. Do I have an electric mower because I’m out of shape, or am I out of shape because I have an electric mower?
  2. What exactly is a weed? I always assumed it was a plant you didn’t want. But I have a new definition, and I’m going to use my lawn as an example. Grass takes work to keep it in shape. You need to feed it, water it, weed it. You need to mow it. Grass is high maintenance. Clover on the other hand, thrives without any help, won’t grow to your armpits if left unmowed, is softer to walk on than grass, and does not require any expensive feeds. So, the new definition of weeds are… Anything that takes care of itself and doesn’t cost money. If it’s free and easy, it must not be worth it.
  3. Dandelions are easy to grow, and edible. Roses require constant care and won’t feed you. See definition above.
  4. A lawn is an example of cross purposes. We feed it to make it grow, then, when it grows, we hurry to cut it down. Where’s the sense in that?

    So, left to me, the American suburbs would be buried in clover, dandelions and moss, and the American families would have more time for leisure (and writing blogs). So, my lawn doesn’t say that I’m lazy. My lawn says that I’m a forward-thinking trend-setter.